I am a person who is passionate about a good cause. If something unjust happens, even if it is, heaven forbid, that the library overcharges me for a late fine, I am one to get riled up. I am ready for a good fight to stand up for my own or another's cause. But lately I have been all talk and no action. I am the tired activist. I rant, I devise ideas on what I could do for each thing that I want to tackle, and then I do.... nothing.
My Grandmother used to faithfully write to the government or other such organizations stating her case. She wrote regarding many humanitarian issues - people unjustly imprisoned, laws that were passed she disagreed with, the list goes on. She tirelessly wrote, and kept persisting in her ethical beliefs, and she did something.....even if it was small...even if it did not change much.
I need to be that kind of person. I need to either do something or stop ranting!! I don't want to ever lose my fight, even though it may need to be tamed and honed a bit. But I want my passion to take on a solid, serene place in my life. I want it to be a sturdy column that is permanent - and not a fire that rages and then gets snuffed out, time and again. I want to be consistent in walking out my faith; a faith that calls us to take care for the hurting. I want to be change.
I need to let all the little things that weigh me down, not to take hold and shape me as a person. The papers I need to go through and file, the clothes that need mending, the kids that need disciplining, the laundry and dishes that need to be done.....all this can weigh one down, till we're tired and immobile. I can't get rid of these things, they are what can ground us. They are roots to keep us down to earth. But I also need wings, to keep me inspired - less tired. I think meaningful friendships, God's Word, inspiring movies, books and art, these are the wings. Roots and wings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love that- roots and wings. I never thought of the roots as positive. Id rather have the wings- but that was beautiful. Hmmmm- roots ARE needed. Thanks for that happy spin on the mundane that drains:)
ReplyDeleteRoots and wings, now that is an amazing point, and meaningful to me today.
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa! I've read your blog but I've never been able to comment...anyways I created my own now so that I can leave a "footprint" where I go (and not a stalker:)....anyways, I like your posts:)
ReplyDelete