When my parents last came for a visit they brought a few things from home: a few yearbooks, a couple newspaper articles, some programs and a project I had done in Grade 11 called, "100 goals". We were supposed to write down 100 things we wanted to achieve in our lifetime. I wrote these with a 16 year old perspective. They were goals like: own an MG (sports car), have a house in the country and in the city, become famous (dancer), learn to speak Russian....There were some spiritual goals slipped in there too. Yes, there were some noble goals. I laugh when I think of who I was and now who I have become and how my priorities have shifted. Have I achieved any of these goals? Do they matter to me anymore? Am I disappointed in what I have achieved thus far?
I never would have guessed what my life would have in store. It took turns I never expected. Things that were never of importance or interests suddenly became part of me. I became more open to new experiences. I also became more focused on what people might see as "little" things, which are in fact big things: kids, people and friendships, learning, healthy eating, gardening and enjoying this earth God has blessed us with, caring for people and the earth, creating and being inspired by life around me. And those things that drove me before, just don't drive me anymore. I don't care to be famous, or rich, popular or perfect.
I guess I never want to be a "small" person (not in stature, I mean in richness of character). When you live in a small town, sometimes this can be a threat, to become small, complacent, sleepy. I think goals are good, whether it be a big or small goal. It could be putting in a garden, or making something homemade, running a marathon, writing a book, decorating a room beautifully, helping others in the community, organizing an event. Goals are important for keeping us moving ahead and keeping life fresh. But do the goals enrich our lives or do they become our lives?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment