Thursday, September 1, 2011

Uncovering

I have not forgotten my promise to include a couple of stories from my trip, but I just wanted to share something fun that happened yesterday. I received 2 encaustic paintings that I had ordered (Thea Haubrich). I got them in a big box with tons of packing peanuts and bubble wrap. It felt like an "unveiling" literally. The anticipation, as I dug through the peanuts and tried to get the tape off the bubble wrap (I know know what it must feel like to be a groom "waiting" for his bride!). And at last I had them unwrapped and I silently gasped....they were more beautiful than I had expected. It was a nice way to start the Fall off. A treat to look forward to, almost like Christmas come early. I never really like the Fall because it means routine. Kids start school, I start work, no more sleeping in, vacations or free-flowing days. This made my Fall start in a very special way - reminding me there can be freshness to starting and routine.
I purchased these 2 paintings with some money my Granny gave me in her will. It was unexpected. Instead of spending it on something practical or on groceries I decided to commemorate her life with an artwork, for that was what her life was, an artwork. She loved the arts (music specifically), she brought beauty and spark everywhere she went, and she lived her life artfully, even with the struggles she overcame.
Every time I pass the family room I look at the paintings, I smile, feel happy and excited inside and think of my Granny. And I also think about my life and how I want it to be a work of art.

2 comments:

  1. I'm dying to see them now. I can only imagine how exciting it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see them. I feel the same way about schedules. I want to see this hope you found. It sounds beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete