I have so much to say and it has been so long, I do not even know where to begin. We took a 3 week trip back to B.C. It has been a long time since we went as a family. I have gone for short trips, with one kid or two, but this time it was with the whole "fan-damily". It is only a province away but we covered many windy miles. We had only gone 2 hours, of our 12 hour+ trip and already a child had barfed and all 3 were asking "are we there yet?"....that was when I began to wonder if we should turn around. But I am glad we didn't. It was a memorable trip that will be treasured. We stayed with many dear friends, ate way too much and spent as much time as we possibly could on the beach, sand between our toes, salty wind on our faces, searching for stone and shell treasures, making forts out of beach wood, boating and watching the lovable seals suntanning on rocks (how I love their friendly eyes), and a highlight for me inner-tubing behind my Dad's speedboat. I have to tell you I am the BIGGEST chicken, so this was a step for me. I guess I had some pressure from my nephews to do it! I giggled the whole time, it was so fun.
I loved re-connecting with these friends. They are people I have known for a long time. They are family. I am tight with them, and miss them terribly. So it was heavenly to hang out with them. And the West coast ALWAYS speaks to me. It is a place that makes me happy, even when I'm not happy. But the interesting thing this time around was that I knew deep down that we were living in the right spot for now. I didn't get that longing to move back. I could see the blessings we have were we are. That is HUGE for me. It is a first. I was even looking forward to getting back here. I didn't feel the dread I used to feel when we were driving back. I saw some realities too, such as the fact that if we were living there we'd be in a small basement apartment, whereas here we have the blessing of living in a big , bright house, with a yard....this may not be important forever, but with young kids, it is important now, to have a home (with space and beauty)
I did notice things about the communities I visited, things I liked, admired, wished for. And it makes me want to bring that here. I want to make this little town the best it can be. I want to be a part of making it great. I want to encourage others to dream big here. To be creative and start new things that enrich life here. I want to engage more in my community. It is so easy to look over the fence and see that it is greener, but what about trying to make your lawn as green as it can be? (maybe this is a bad analogy, as my lawn is brown and weedy) I am one to always want more, and deceiving myself to believe it is there or there. But I think we can be fulfilled right where we are.
I will write again this week and share some snippets and stories of our trip, some funny, some reflective.
Last night I was again a bit sad my kids would be off to school. The time has come. I feel at peace about this decision to have them go back for now, but I am still sad. I said to Mika at bedtime that I would miss her and "what would I do?" And our roles reversed as she said, "It's okay Momma. You'll be okay. We'll still see each other." It is so interesting to have our children console us! I was thinking about going to school. My Mom was sooo cheap. I remember going to school with used crayons, pencil crayons, pencils, erasers and pencil cases, while everyone else, it seemed, came with shiny new things. I may have been a little embarrassed about my broken crayons and pencil stubs! But I did survive. Now, as I go through the list of supplies, I am in that place of not wanting to spend money on something we already have, yet wanting my kids to have new supplies to make their school experience more exciting. I want my kids to not worry about "fitting in", yet I don't want them to be ostracized either, because of my cheapess! I do think that the school board is in cahoots with the office supplies store though. It is my conspiracy theory that I am starting!! And why can't you send your kid to school with one glue stick and then see if they need more? Will they really use three? Yes, I am smiling as I write this... don't take me too seriously. But really, I hate that our culture is so wasteful. That we believe we NEED so much. Hey, I managed with my pencil crayon stubs! IF I were a school teacher, I would send home a supply list that read: Paper, and kind, any amount, pencils, in any shape, an eraser that works, runners, can be second or third hand. End of list!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As always, kindred soul, I am in complete agreement! (esp. abou school suppleis:)
ReplyDeleteAnd the community. I am up for that! I try with my mom's groups, studies and breakfasts but it doesn't feel like enough. You know you were a big part of my pro list. I forgot to tell you that today. there would never be another Lisa anywhere...I take that seriously.
Thanks for coffee. Love it when you blog. Love you!