We often look back, or look ahead, but how often do we look at the here and now? Often when writing, I'll add an, "I remember..." But these are from the past. Here are some "I want to remembers....", from my life's present memories.
I want to remember....
The feel of my 4 year old's warm hand, pressing into mine, with complete trust.
Watching kids play in the puddles and living vicariously through them.
How my sleeping children look at this stage and how that makes me feel. No matter how much terror they have caused that day, I look at them sleeping and an overwhelming love wells up. As I look at them, snuggled under the covers, body splayed out, so utterly relaxed, their faces take on an angelic look.
What it feels like to carry a new baby in a baby carrier, the weight and warmth of their bodies. They are as close as they can be to you without you being pregnant! It is the best of both worlds. It is like being pregnant without indigestion, leg cramps, sore back, nausea....
The smell and feel of a baby's head. The smell is indescribable. No one has been able to match it in a perfume. But it is the absolute best smell in the world. It only lasts a short while and it is the reason why women jump up to hold someone else's baby! To get a whiff of pure beauty, God's perfume. When I think I have forgotten what it is like, I find a friend with a baby, and it comes back to me.
The sound of the kids playing downstairs, getting along of course, as I am coming out of the last dregs of sleep. I am alone and quiet but their noises drift up to meet me.
The crinkle in my husbands eyes, which speak of who he is becoming and who he was when we first met. When he smiles and I see that crinkle I can see a young boy and an old man at the same time, and I like them both.
What it is like to have your kids surround you. Sometimes it irritates me when they are always there, hanging all over me, but I want to remember it, because I know one day I will miss this. They may be underfoot like little shadows, but it is a precious annoyance! Perhaps this is why people get little annoying dogs once their kids are grown!?
Saturday mornings, special breakfasts, time together, where you realize that you really like your kids and your husband. How striking it is that God chooses to put the right people together to make up these crazy families. The dynamic is like a recipe - 1 pinch of creative girl, add a dash of humorous boy, add a tablespoon of cuteness and energy, 1 cup of curious questions and laughing.
I want to remember wrestling (actually we do hug wrestling, which is halfway between wrestling and cuddling!) with the kids, because it is the one one act that I am in the here and now. I am not thinking of what needs to be done, or worried about the day past, but just in the sheer moment of fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
There is no "like" button on here like on fb:) so..."Like". :-). Hope you had a good rest of the day!
ReplyDeleteI love how you put your feelings into words here, Lisa. You seem so much more relaxed and happy as a parent than I think you even thought you would be. Our lives seem to change for us, spontaneously, when we have children and we can either go with it and accept the changes, or resent the intrusion. I've seen so much positivity from you even in the last year - it's encouraging to me! Thanks for helping me remember those small joys and precious moments in my own life too. Maybe I have to hit the big "4-0" to have as much wisdom and peace. :)
ReplyDeleteWOW....you made me cry. I am crying like a baby now. I feel like the time is passing by so quickly. I especially miss Maya when she was small....
ReplyDelete