Saturday, March 19, 2011

Throwing Stones

Why do we attack people, when they share their views verbally or written in a book, when their views are not exactly like ours? Why do we call them heretics? When I hear someone speak, or read a book, I sift through, gleaning good stuff and releasing stuff I would consider not "good" or correct. I expect to do this. If we are discerning and confident, we do not have to feel threatened by others and their approaches. How can we expect a mere man or woman to write a book that is full truth? That is too much to expect. We are flawed humans, each of us with our own perspectives, and yes as a counselor would say, our distortions too. I hope when people read the words I write or listen to things that I say, that they might take them with a grain of salt. I am flawed, my words are flawed. Do we with hold expressing our true heart because we are afraid that people might scoff at us, call us a heretic? I prefer discussion over debate. I think it is okay to grapple with things verbally or on paper, and yes even doubt. I think God, in his omnipotence, is not afraid of our doubts. And yet we are afraid of others doubts? How odd. I have come to deeper faith in the Lord because of my doubts, and because of the ability to grapple with them by talking to others who weren't threatened by them.

2 comments:

  1. I love your wise words and perceptions. I feel the same way. Byt the way I have been away- so I will call u back on Monday ( I am now leaving again all day- Foster ship training.) I am not ignoring you- In fact my heart soared when I got your message. I will talk soon missy:)
    Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post. And I agree...and strangely it has been my experience that it is the one's in 'Christian" circles that I find to be the most unforgiving. Hmmm...now that seems wrong! Thanks for sharing and questioning...

    ReplyDelete