When I was a kid, I was always the one crying. As a teenager, I'd go in the car (or the garden) to pout when my feelings were hurt. And now, as an adult, the pain is still as stinging. I lose sleep over interpersonal problems. I have never become toughened to cruel words and mean people. And yet I am an adult - I would not be able to function if every cruelty stopped me in my tracks. As a teacher of kids and teens, I see how cruel they can be to one another. And I think, "they need to mature"! And yet how many adults are just as bad, just as petty and immature?! I have been working on how to deal with these situations, as it has come out into the forefront. I just can't go and pout in the car anymore! What do we do with hurt?
I love several images my pastors have given me on different occasions. One image is that Jesus fits into the space between us and that hurt - almost like a barrier. The other is the idea that we have a soft heart but tough feet. We are still gracious and softened to people, but we walk into situations with strength and armor. A modern dancer, who dances with bare feet, has strong calloused feet - tough feet! When we turn and jump and roll and spin, our calloused feet are protecting us. When I first began modern dance, my feet became cracked and bloody, but as I progressed they became tough and calloused - and those callouses became like a protective barrier.
I used to pray that God would change me and make me tough - make me not be such a crybaby. I don't pray that anymore. I feel God has made me to be sensitive and compassionate and soft for a reason. To use me. To be a living example of His heart. But as I put him in that space between me and my hurt, when I allow him to toughen my feet for the work He has for me, I feel I can walk on, move ahead. I feel stronger, able to get out of the car, turn my frown upside down, find a joy, even amongst cruel words and actions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love that side of you Lisa! Your softness is an admirable quality, and I'm glad you are able to see that. :)
ReplyDeleteI understand the need for a "pout" every now and again. It is healthy to have an outlet for hurt feelings and sadness, but I love the image of Jesus being our armor. A calloused soul so to speak. :)
Thanks for sharing!
(I'm sorry though if you are dealing with something said or done to you recently. Thinking of you!)
Yay you are writing again!!!
ReplyDeleteOh but sorry things are hard. I am dealing with the same sort of things. I think you and I are cut from the same mould in the sensitivity department. I do also think that God knows that and brings along little inspirations to help us get through.
Man, I miss the gals chats sometimes!
Hopefully we will talk soon!
I want Mika for a sleepover- when would that work?
Love ya
Oh so good to read your words, they strike my heart during trying times. That said, I appreciate your attentive listening and willingness to let your heart be softened with the grace that is there when the Lord is in between us and the hurt..(ps. yes it is A)
ReplyDelete