
Walking Through Life With
A Barefooted Soul
When I first transitioned from Ballet to Modern Dance I loved the imagery of going from pink satin pointe shoes to bare feet. To me, it was an embodied image of where my life was going, and still is going. Bare feet to me were, and are, a symbol of humility and honesty. With bare feet, we feel the ground under us. Others see our rawness, callouses, real humanity. My temptation is to put on shoes. To hide myself. Or to put on those pointe shoes, which make me appear weightless. And yet, continually in my life, I am brought back to a place of taking off my shoes, feeling my weightedness, baring my tired and worn feet. The act of washing feet, that Jesus did for his friends, is more than just a mechanical job of cleaning someones feet. It is a place of vulnerability, both for the one receiving and giving. I think this is how he meant our relationship and fellowship to be. I have participated in the washing of feet, as well as exchanging pedicures with friends. Even with the closest of friends, this act is one which requires humility; the putting off of certain insecurities and pride. When we come to God, as Moses did when he was aware he was on holy ground, we need to take off our shoes. We need to come before God and others with a barefooted soul. I hope to have the courage to walk through life with a barefooted soul.
"The Monastic looks for holiness in the here and now. Unburdened by strange diets or esoteric devotions or damaging denials of self. The real monastic walks through life with a barefooted soul, alert, aware, grateful and only partially at home."
(Joan Chittister, "Wisdom Distilled from the Daily")
Oh yeah -you used Joan Chittister! Maybe there is a purpose in all my random books that are laid on my heart to share. Sometimes I feel so alone in my ideals and the way I believe sharing life should be.Sometimes I feel like I should not share what I feel compelled to.
ReplyDeleteI love this post too. Your imagery is so profound.